The consequences of a stolen phone can be far more dangerous than an exploding cell phone bill. After all, our devices are increasingly sophisticated and now contain a huge amount of personal information, which can be a gold mine if an ill-intentioned person gets their hands on it. Revwr explains what steps to take in case of theft, and the precautions to take to prevent this from happening again.
Stolen phone: the immediate steps
In case of phone theft, here are the immediate measures to be taken:
- Inform your operator of the phone theft to have your line blocked.
- File a complaint with the nearest gendarmerie or police station, giving them the IMEI number of the phone. This number (composed of 15 to 17 digits) is usually written on the telephone box and on the terminal itself (under the battery in most cases). It can also be obtained by dialing *#06# on your telephone keypad. The police will then be responsible for sending a copy of the report to your operator, which will have the direct consequence of blocking your telephone throughout France from all operators.
- If you have taken out insurance for this phone, make a theft report to your insurer as soon as possible.
- Finally, change all your passwords (e-mail accounts, Facebook, Apple login…) to make sure that no one has access to your personal data.
Stolen phone: how to find it?
If your phone has just been stolen, you may still be able to find it. However, you must have taken precautions beforehand by configuring an application or service to locate your phone. Most manufacturers offer this solution, which will also allow you to lock it remotely, make it ring (even if it is in silent mode), display a personalized message on the home screen, or erase all your data.
To learn all about phone location, we recommend that you consult our file to find out what to do if you lose your phone.
Phone theft: precautions to take
There are several precautions you can take to avoid having your phone stolen. In particular, be careful not to attract the attention of thieves by leaving your phone in plain sight, whether it is on a coffee table, on the dashboard of a car, or in the outside pocket of a bag. Also beware of pickpockets on public transportation or in line-ups. Finally, be careful not to lend your phone to a stranger.
There are also a few precautions you can take to help you in case your phone is stolen:
- Write down your IMEI and save it (on your computer for example), to make sure you can find it quickly.
- Personalize your phone’s PIN code, and the locking scheme if you have a smartphone.
- Set up one of the services listed in our article on phone loss. As mentioned above, these will not only allow you to locate your phone, but also to erase all your personal data in case of theft.